He was chief sub-editor – the youngest ever appointed by the paper – he went on to become their literary editor, so he knows a thing or two about books, and then their deputy sports editor – and I can testify that he knows a think or two about a number of sports.
Now a much-sought-after freelance journalist and commentator, Hugh remains one of Scotland’s best sportswriters, one of its most generous in terms of offering help and advice and definitely one of its best read… and, no, he never paid me to write any of this!
Listen to Hugh MacDonald on the Read All About It podcast HERE
1. Favourite book from childhood.
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
2. Favourite book from teenage/university (formative) years.
Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan and the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser
3. A book you would recommend to anyone.
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
4. A book you couldn’t be paid to read again.
Will Carling’s autobiography
5. The last book you read or are currently reading,
Charles Willeford omnibus (fiction); Margaret Thatcher biography by Charles Moore (non-fiction); Richard Rohr book of meditations (Spiritual)